Cynthia Taylor Handrup, DNP, APRN, PMHCNS-BC
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, Primary Care Mental Health Concentration
Department of Population Health Nursing Science
Building & Room:
845 S. Damen Ave., MC 802, Chicago, IL 60612
Dr. Handrup teaches in the PMHNP DNP program. She holds a BS in Nursing from the University of Rhode Island, an MS in Nursing from St. Xavier University, Chicago, IL, and a DNP from the University of Colorado Denver. Dr. Handrup is certified as an ANCC Clinical Specialist in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. She is passionate about setting policies and agendas for behavioral health and social justice, structural racism, human trafficking, justice reform, global mental health, and LGBTQ issues. Dr. Handrup has impacted policy and advocacy of persons with mental illness and social inequalities through her publications, webinars, and podcasts; national and international presentations; and service on multidisciplinary boards and committees. Dr. Handrup also maintains a clinical practice in psychotherapy & medication evaluation. She is the President of the Global Alliance for Behavioral Health & Social Justice (Formerly the American Orthopsychiatric Association). Dr. Handrup’s clinical scholarship is in the therapeutic alliance, psychotherapy outcomes, teaching therapy & empathy skills, and global mental health and social justice issues.
- McLeigh, J., Kilmer, R. Klien-Walker, D., Handrup, C.T., & Beardslee, W. (2021). Establishing a Path to Unity: Recommendations for the Biden/Harris Administration. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 91(3), 303-309. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ort0000563
- Wesemann, D. & Handrup, C.T. (2021). Where is the Psychotherapy Content in PMHNP Programs? Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 01 July 2021.
- Handrup, C.T. (2020). Understanding Bipolar Disorder. American Nurse, 15 (11), 26-30.
- Gil-Rivas, V., Handrup, C.T., Tanner, E., & Walker D.K. (2019). Global Mental Health: A Call for Action. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 89(4), 420-425. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ort0000373
- Snyder, M. and Handrup, C.T. (2018). Challenges in Treatment of Comorbid Chronic Pain, Depression, and Anxiety. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. 56 (12): 17-21.
- Woroch, R.A., Alvarez, D.V., Yingling, C, & Handrup, C.T. (2018) FNP/PMHNP collaboration in drug-seeking telephone simulation in APRN curriculum. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 18, 14-19.
- Handrup, C. (2015). Managing treatment failures in depression, bipolar disorders, and personality disorders. When medication is not enough. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 60-61.
- Posmontier, B., Breiter, D., Cartier, J., Dilks, S., Esposito, N., Handrup, C., … Newton, M. (2013). ISPN DNP Task Force on the DNP. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 27, 56-60.
- Delaney, K.R. and Handrup, C.T. (2011). Psychiatric mental health nursing’s psychotherapy role: Are we letting it slip away? Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 25, 303-305.
Service to Community
President, Global Alliance for Behavioral Health & Social Justice
President, International Society of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses, Foundation Board
2017, Daisy Foundation Faculty Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
2014, Clinical Practice Award, Intl. Society of Psychiatric Nurses
2014, Preceptor Award PMHNP Program, University of Illinois at Chicago
2010, Research Award, Heart and Soul of Change CDOI
BS in Nursing from the University of Rhode Island.
MS in Nursing from St. Xavier University, Chicago, IL.
DNP from the University of Colorado Denver.
Licensures and Certifications
APRN (Full Practice Authority) - State of Illinois
State Controlled Substance - State of Illinois
DEA Registration - DOJ
Psychiatric Mental Health Clinical Specialist -ANCC
American Psychiatric Nurses Association
American Nurses Association
Academy for Eating Disorders
Global Alliance for Behavioral Health and Social Justice (Formerly American Ortho Psychiatric Association)
Illinois Nurses Association
Illinois Society of Advanced Practice Nurses
International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
Sigma Theta Tau
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
Society for Community Research and Action (APA Division)
Mental Health Liaison Group