Nursing Professional Development
At the UIC College of Nursing, our commitment to be a resource for alumni and all nurses seeking to develop their careers and enrich the profession is second to none.
University of Illinois College of Nursing is approved as a provider of continuing nursing education by Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91)
License renewal requirements for 2020
As required by the Illinois Nurse Practice Act, during each two-year nursing license renewal cycle, all nurses need to complete a certain number of continuing education contact hours depending on their licensure.
- License practical nurses (LPN) need to complete 20 hours of approved continuing education contact hours. The next LPN licensure renewal is due by Jan. 31, 2021.
- Registered nurses (RN) need to complete 20 hours of approved continuing education contact hours. The next RN licensure renewal is due by Sept. 30, 2020 (extension granted by the IDFPR).
- Advanced practice register nurses (APRN) need to complete 80 hours of approved continuing education contact hours. The next APRN licensure renewal is due by Sept. 30, 2020 (extension granted by the IDFPR).
For more details regarding the renewal extension, visit https://www.idfpr.com/News/2020/2020 03 18 IDFPR Variance Press Release.pdf
For more details about Illinois continuing nursing education requirements, visit http://nursing.illinois.gov/NursingCE.asp.
A new requirement for Sexual Harassment Prevention Training was issued by the Division of Professional Regulation and is now in effect as of Jan. 1, 2020 for all professional licensure renewals including nursing (LPN, RN, APRN).
- The requirement is that any individual who has a licensed issued by the Division of Professional Regulation must complete a one-hour continuing education on sexual harassment prevention training for every renewal period.
- This will be part of the required number of contact hours per licensure renewal, and not an increase in required continuing education hours to complete.
For more details about the new continuing education requirement for sexual harassment prevention training, visit http://nursing.illinois.gov/PDF/2020-03-04_IDFPR_SexHarassPreventTraining_Revise.pdf.
CE opportunities at UIC Nursing
An online CE is now available
Title: Sexual Harassment Prevention Training for Nurses
For more details and to register, visit https://uofi.box.com/s/8p7jl7i4a3uu7d9fn4xifz7t9udz5y43
Currently, no in-person events are scheduled. Check back for updates.