UIC College of Nursing alumni are extraordinary leaders. Their achievements benefit individuals, communities and society at large. We're happy to celebrate several each year.
The Distinguished Alumnus/a Award and the Outstanding Alumni Achievement Awards are presented to graduates of the UIC College of Nursing who have demonstrated:
- A dedication to nursing and shown outstanding professionalism, and by their example have promoted and elevated the general image of the profession of nursing
- Significant accomplishment and leadership in the field of nursing, as well as other civic, cultural or charitable activities
- Continued interest in and support for the college
Distinguished Alumni Award
First conferred in 1978, this award is the highest honor presented by the College of Nursing and the Alumni Board. It is customarily given at the May commencement. The award recipient is expected to attend commencement, as well as the college’s REUNION in the fall. One Distinguished Alumnus/a Award will be conferred each year.
Pictured: Mariann Piano, 2019 Distinguished Alumnus (read more)
Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award
Created in 2018, these awards allow the college to recognize additional alumni who are making exceptional contributions to healthcare, health science and society. One or more Outstanding Alumni Achievement Awards may be conferred in a given year. Recipients are expected to attend our all-alumni REUNION in the fall.
Pictured: Jehad Omar Halabi, one of four 2019 Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award honorees (read more)
Criteria and eligibility
The criteria and nomination form for both awards are the same, and the selection committee will choose which award befits each qualified nominee.
Alumni award nominations are accepted year-round. Those received through Feb. 1 will be reviewed for the current year’s awards program. Completed nominations will be held as active and under consideration for up to two additional years should they not be selected in the year for which they are submitted.
Eligibility and Requirments
- Current faculty members are ineligible
- Current Alumni Board members are ineligible
- Former and retired faculty members are eligible
- 1 letter of support from nominator
- 1 additional letter of support
- Current CV or resume