Congratulations on deciding to take the next step!
The application link is at the bottom of this page. Please read the whole page before you begin the application. This content outlines all the materials and resources you need on hand to complete your application.
There are some differences in the process depending on whether you are a current UIC student or not. We hope you'll find it all clear as you move through the process.
Application deadline is January 15.
Candidate interviews take place in late February or early March.
Final decisions will be sent to applicants by mid-April.
Not ready to apply? Learn more!
Essay questions Heading link
Within the application, you’ll be prompted to answer the following essay questions. We recommend that you draft your responses to the questions before beginning your application. Responses should reflect clear thought and show proper use of grammar and punctuation. Once submitted, you will not be allowed to edit your responses.
- What is your understanding of the role of the professional nurse and why have you chosen to pursue nursing as a career? (max. 250 words)
- The mission of the UIC College of Nursing is to transform health, healthcare, and policy through knowledge generation and translation, and education of future leaders from diverse backgrounds. Our vision is to be a preeminent leader in advancing global health and nursing. Please comment on how you can contribute to the UIC mission and vision as a student and alumni. (max. 250 words)
- What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity? How would you develop and apply your commitment to diversity at UIC? (max. 250 words)
- Describe a stressful or challenging situation you have experienced and how you dealt with it. Looking back, would you do anything differently? Please explain. (max. 250 words)
- Many nursing students find being a full-time nursing student demanding and rigorous. How will you balance your family, work, and other commitments with full-time nursing study? (max. 250 words)
Resume Heading link
The application will prompt you to upload your resume, which should reflect the following information, if relevant:
- Previously earned degrees
- Employment history
- Volunteer or public service activities (numbered list with name of organization/activity, responsibilities, and dates of service)
- Previous nursing courses
- Computer skills
- Proficiency in any language other than English. Please indicate proficiency level as weak, good, excellent, fluent or native.
Prerequisite Self-Evaluation Form Heading link
Non-UIC students only
The self-evaluation (download) will indicate to the College of Nursing which of the prerequisite courses have been completed and which are yet to be completed.
Applicants can use this downloadable PowerPoint as a guide to prerequisite information.
Recommendations Heading link
Within the application, you will be required to name and provide contact information for two recommenders, who will then receive (at the email addresses you provide) invitations to submit recommendations on your behalf.
- One recommender should be able to speak to your scholastic ability.
- The second recommender can be a professional or academic reference.
- Personal references from friends, relatives or co-workers will automatically be disregarded.
- It is your responsibility to verify submission of all electronic recommendations by the application deadline.
- Hard copies are not accepted and can only be submitted by the recommender via the method described to them in the invitation.
- Applications without two recommendations are considered incomplete.
Official Transcripts Heading link
Official transcripts must be mailed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the following address by the application deadline.
UIC Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1200 W. Harrison St.
SSB 1100 (MC 018)
Chicago, IL 60607-7161
Transcripts received after deadline will result in your application being considered incomplete.
An Academic History file, in PDF format, is required to be uploaded with the application.
The Application Heading link
Need More Information? Heading link
Submit this form and an Enrollment Advisor will contact you to answer your questions.