requirements Heading link
The following criteria must be met in order for your application to the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program to receive full consideration:
- Baccalaureate degree with an upper-division major in nursing from a CCNE or NLN accredited program OR a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in a field other than nursing plus an RN license. Applicants may apply as they are completing their degree but all students enrolling in the DNP program must have a bachelor’s degree before matriculating into the program.
- All students must have a valid license to practice professional nursing in at least one jurisdiction. Applicants may apply before they have passed the NCLEX and attained nursing licensure.
- A brief grace period will be granted to any new student who does not meet this requirement. A compliance hold will be placed on the UIC student account until students submit their RN license. Any student who fails to submit proof of RN licensure to UIC by December 1 of their first semester in the College of Nursing will be dismissed. Students dismissed by the College of Nursing must re-apply and gain readmission to the program in order to register for any additional courses.
- GRE scores must be submitted by applicants with less than a cumulative 3.25/4.00 GPA in their baccalaureate (or higher) degree. Scores must be submitted by the application deadline. Cumulative GPAs are pulled directly from the transcripts submitted. Courses taken after a baccalaureate (or higher) degree has been earned will not be calculated into the cumulative GPA for the GRE waiver.
- Applicants to the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program must have a minimum of one year of RN experience in an adult acute care setting by the time of admission. ICU experience is preferred.
- Applicants to the Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program must have a minimum of one year, full-time, RN experience in a pediatric, acute care setting by the time of admission. Pediatric emergency department or ICU experience is preferred.
* Please note some deadline exceptions may apply for our active military applicants. If you are active military, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Need More Information? Heading link
Submit this form and an Enrollment Advisor will contact you to answer your questions.