requirements Heading link
The following criteria must be met in order for your application to the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program to receive full consideration:
- Baccalaureate degree with an upper-division major in nursing from a CCNE or NLN accredited program OR a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in a field other than nursing plus an RN license. Applicants may apply as they are completing their degree but all students enrolling in the DNP program must have a bachelor’s degree before matriculating into the program.
- Students must have at least a 3.00/4.00 grade point average for the final 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of the first baccalaureate degree.
- All students must have a valid license to practice professional nursing in at least one jurisdiction. Applicants may apply before they have passed the NCLEX and attained nursing licensure.
- A brief grace period will be granted to any new student who does not meet this requirement. A compliance hold will be placed on the UIC student account until students submit their RN license. Any student who fails to submit proof of RN licensure to UIC by December 1 of their first semester in the College of Nursing will be dismissed. Students dismissed by the College of Nursing must re-apply and gain readmission to the program in order to register for any additional courses.
- Applicants to the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program must have a minimum of one year of RN experience in an adult acute care setting by the time of admission. ICU experience is preferred.
- Applicants to the Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program must have a minimum of one year, full-time, RN experience in a pediatric, acute care setting by the time of admission. Pediatric emergency department or ICU experience is preferred.
Note for International Applicants
Due to the level of online course work in the DNP program, international students in this program of study are not eligible for F-1 or J-1 student immigration status.
* Please note some deadline exceptions may apply for our active military applicants. If you are active military, please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.