admission criteria Heading link
The following criteria must be met in order for your application to the Advanced Generalist Master of Science (AGMS) program to receive full consideration:
- Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree with an upper-division major in nursing from a CCNE or NLN accredited program OR a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in a field other than nursing plus an RN license. Applicants may apply as they are completing their degree but all students enrolling in the AGMS program must have a bachelor’s degree before matriculating into the program.
- All students must have a valid license to practice professional nursing in at least one jurisdiction. Applicants may apply before they have passed the NCLEX and attained nursing licensure.
- A brief grace period will be granted to any new student who does not meet this requirement. A compliance hold will be placed on the UIC student account until students submit their RN license. Any student who fails to submit proof of RN licensure to UIC by December 1 of their first semester in the College of Nursing will be dismissed. Students dismissed by the College of Nursing must re-apply and gain readmission to the program in order to register for any additional courses.
- Applicants must have had a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.75/4.00 in the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the first baccalaureate degree.
- Official GRE test scores are required of applicants who had less than a 3.25/4.00 cumulative GPA in their most recently earned (baccalaureate or graduate) degree OR who have a baccalaureate degree in progress. Cumulative GPAs are calculated directly from submitted transcripts. The GRE is waived for applicants with a 3.25/4.00 GPA in their most recently earned (baccalaureate or graduate) degree.
Application deadline is January 15. Learn about applying →
UIC undergraduate alumni and soon-to-be alumni who are applying to graduate Master’s and PhD programs could have their application fee waived. Only full or expected UIC alumni are eligible. This includes (1) Those students who have fully earned, or will earn, a UIC bachelor’s degree by the proposed term of enrollment in a UIC graduate program and (2) UIC seniors who are seeking concurrent graduate enrollment for the final year of their undergraduate study. Waiver does not apply to those who have attended UIC but not earned a degree, applicants to UIC professional programs, or alumni of UIUC or UIS.