Congratulations on taking the next step towards earning your PhD!
Please read the entire page before you begin the application. This content outlines all materials and resources you need on hand to complete your application. Allow time to complete the steps below and put together a strong application. If you have any questions, please contact the UIC Nursing Graduate Admissions team at email@example.com.
All required materials must be completed per application instructions.
Application Submission Details
Deadline: December 1
Decision Notification: Early February
*Please Note: Some deadline exceptions may apply for our active military applicants. If you are active military, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions. If you are a current UIC graduate student, please contact the UIC Nursing Graduate Admissions team at email@example.com for specific application instructions.
Step-by-Step Application Instructions (continued) Heading link
2. Academic Credentials/Transcripts
All UIC graduate and professional applicants must submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended directly to NursingCAS. Click the following link for submitting your official transcripts and test scores guidance. Sending Your Official Transcripts and Test Scores to NursingCAS – Liaison (liaisonedu.com)
3. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Upload your most recent resume or CV that details educational background, work experience, honors/awards/activities directly to the NursingCAS application.
4. Application Essay
Within the NursingCAS application, you’ll be prompted to answer the following essay questions. We recommend that you draft your responses to the questions before beginning your application.
- What are your short- and long-term professional goals?
- How will a PhD assist you in attaining your career and educational goals? Why did you select UIC?
- Comment on your qualification and readiness for doctoral study, especially at a research-intensive college of nursing. Describe your experience(s) with research.
- In which area of scientific inquiry are you interested and why?
- The mission of the UIC College of Nursing is to transform health, healthcare and policy through knowledge generation and translation and education of future leaders from diverse backgrounds. Our vision is to be a preeminent leader in advancing global health and nursing. Please comment on how you can contribute to the UIC mission and vision as a student and future alumnus.
- What do you see as the major challenges that you will need to overcome (i.e., financial constraints, family responsibilities, analytical or statistical skills) in pursuing a PhD? What are your plans for addressing these challenges?
- What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity and how would you develop and apply your commitment to diversity at UIC?
5. Three Letters of Recommendation
Enter the names and email address for three recommenders to your NursingCAS application. Each recommender will then receive an email with a link to log in to the NursingCAS Recommender Portal and submit a recommendation form. Please inform each recommender that the recommendation form is required; the system does not allow the option of uploading a separate letter.
UIC College of Nursing Interview (continued) Heading link
All applicants with completed and qualified applications will be contacted by the UIC College of Nursing for an application interview. The interview is a required part of the application process.